Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Cranky

We're having a rough few days around here. Not sure quite what the problem is.

Yesterday, most of the day was spent following the girls from one thing they're not supposed to do, to the next thing they're not supposed to do, trying to keep them alive. When they are caught in the act, both have taken to screaming, arching backs, and generally throwing fits. I'm tired.

Audrey has been following me around the house whining, and Hannah has to be reminded every time she talks to use a nice voice rather than yelling at me or whining at me, neither of which are acceptable and she knows it.

You know that mode kids get into when it just doesn't matter what is available to them, they'll find the one thing they're not supposed to do? Kinda reminds me of the Garden of Eden (eat from any tree but this one...) But, I digress.

What works to get your kids out of that mode? I'm at a loss.

And, the fact is, getting in the car and just running errands might even help, but I'm so wiped out that the 30 minute process of actually getting everybody in the car keeps me from even attempting it. I never knew I could possibly become a homebody... I hardly go anywhere during the day anymore.

I'm cranky and kinda depressed.

4 comments:

  1. I know just how you feel. We've had the same past couple days. It's just trantrums and "no, don't do this, don't do that." To go out of the house is so stressful, I agree. Just getting shoes, and diaper bag and dressed etc. You ever notice how JUST when you strap them into the car seat or whatever some one has a dirty diaper or something. Ug. It's very exhausting. Yesterday when Jasper came home I felt so tired of just being home I wanted to go to the shopette for no reason (it's like a little Gas station/convinence sore) so we went and the kids were insanly hyper and just excited to breathe "out side of the house air" we came home and sat on the grass in the front at 8:30 at night letting them run around. I think kids get a little depressed being home all the time too, and they act out to express it. I don't know that there is any way to get them out of that "mode." It comes and goes every few weeks for a few days. I've been thinking about forcing myself out the house for "field trips" that are cheap or free every week. Like focus on the family or bowling, stuff like that. Just so they can get rid of that energy. Let me know if you'd ever like to join us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, this is too familiar. Our solution has been to pull out the stroller (even in snow) and walk and walk and walk until we are all new people. Usually doesn't take too long, and they usually come home and crash into a nap...and I feel better with the fresh air!
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Focus on the Family has free bowling? That's awesome! Well I am enjoying my last few months of only having 1 baby to get ready. I can't imagine how hard it must be loading up 2, and all that stuff you have to remember! You will have to help me when the baby's born - get me out of the house! I need it - I get depressed and very unpretty. Anytime you just need to get out, you guys are more than welcome to come over! We just hang out and would love the company! Plus I have food and drinks and diapers and wipes...and extra kid shoes and sweaters...so you can just stick them in the car and go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! We've had those days, too! I usually just do something really spontaneous. Go for a drive (they all fall asleep), go for a walk, go to the park, go visit grandma, go out for "coffee" (steamed milk), go to the library... You get the idea. Sometimes, we just all have a nap. Even if we've already had one. And even if we don't actually sleep. Or, I'll put in a worship video and we'll act crazy for awhile. I find that, no matter what you do, it's really, really hard for kids to be whiny and cranky when their mama is playing with them and paying attention to them! So that's what I do. Drop the rest of my to-do list for the day, if possible, and just focus on enjoying each other again.

    No matter what, in the wise words of my Mom, "This too shall pass!"

    ReplyDelete