Monday, February 11, 2008

Back...with thoughts

I took a break from media in general last week. I quit reading all but my closest friends' and most favorite blogs. I didn't watch tv (except for Nick and I watched American Idol together one night:). I only listened to worship music. I needed to quiet the voices that were calling for my attention, you know? I'm not sure I'm done.

It's so easy to get information now. It almost becomes god-like. Have a question about anything - from parenting to finances to cooking? You can find a blog about it. Or a website to answer all of your questions. The problem is, much of the information is contradictory. There are so many different opinions out there. So how do you decide who has the right to recommend changes and new thoughts?

Personally, I had to shut it down this week. The thoughts in my head can get almost frenzied if I'm not careful.

I've been emailing back and forth with a new friend this week. Jana has been encouraging me to put all of my focus on God. Like everyone, I have things about my personality I don't like. If I focus on those things, they get bigger and bigger until I feel like a complete failure. That's not helpful. If I focus on God, His immense ability to change me by His Holy Spirit, from the inside out, makes anything possible. The more time I spend with God, the more I start to think the way He thinks and feel the way He feels about things. It's far too easy to feel a need, and go to a person, a website, a tv show, a book, or even to myself to meet that need. Much of this stuff is good, and we should be talking to trusted people, reading, and understanding the times in which we live. But, all of these things will disappoint. God will not. He may not answer in the way we think He should, but that's the beauty of this. Our ability to find answers that work is so limited - His is unlimited. He often does things in ways we would never think of.

Anyway, I'm beginning to ramble. I think you get the point. Gotta go take care of kiddos.

1 comment:

  1. I understand...sometimes I get so overwhelmed with my thoughts I can't even sleep. Currently I am fixated on applied kinesology--I find myself dreaming about it and when I wake up looking up info on it. I am also fixated on our finances and how to make it all work. Ugh...the mind reals.

    ReplyDelete