Thursday, January 4, 2007

The Total Money Makeover

Growing up, we had kind of a strange financial situation. My dad owned his own business selling high-end accounting software. It was a very decent living, but it was...rather up and down. For example, he could possibly make a sale that would be $30,000. And then it would be four months before he would make anything else. This led to some spending habits. When we had money, we would feel like making up for lost time. When we didn't, we lived VERY cheaply. There was always the hope that a huge check would come in the mail, maybe any day. It may not, and things may stay hard that week, but there was the hope.

Now that I'm married, we have a weekly paycheck and no more. But it's steady. Because of how I grew up, that has always been weird.

My dad, of all people, "discovered" Dave Ramsey a few months ago. He now has Nick and my brother-in-law Dave listening to the radio show. This guy has provided more encouragement to us financially, than anything else we've done. And we've done quite a few things to figure out our finances.

Nick and I are currently reading Dave Ramsey's book, "The Total Money Makeover." We have actually never finished a book we started reading together. Last night Nick read to me for 1 1/2 hours. I was shocked! :) We feel like we know how to made good decisions that will help our situation finally. Confidence makes all the difference!

1 comment:

  1. How much do you want for the washer and dryer? I'm in need of them but rather strapped. :)

    Jennifer Harrelson

    ReplyDelete