Tuesday, January 30, 2007

My Favorite Dinner


Chicken Stir Fry, originally uploaded by sakalomi.

Nick found out he is allergic to chicken. Yes, it's weird. How can you be allergic to chicken? But, he is. He also had to work late tonight. Guess what I made?

Okay, so it's not terribly photogenic, but this is my favorite dinner of all. I lived on this stuff while I was in college. I'd make a big 'ol pan of it and eat it for days. I don't know what it is about this stuff, but I'll tell ya how I make it.

Chicken Stir Fry
Serves 1-3

1lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 onion, chopped
3-4 different kinds of vegetables, chopped (I like carrots, celery, red pepper and zuchini)
2-3 cups chicken broth
2-3 tablespoons flour (rice flour works great for us gluten-free folk!)
Olive oil

In a deep skillet over medium heat, saute the onion in the olive oil until transparent. Add chicken, stir occasionally until cooked through. Add veggies and enough broth to not quite cover them. Put a lid on the pan and allow it to steam the veggies until al dente, or tender, whichever you like. Then, shake tablespoons of flour over the whole dish and stir gently. The flour will thicken the broth and give you almost a stew. Adjust the amount of flour and broth for the thickness you like. Add salt and pepper to taste, and a little marjoram or oregano is good too.

Serve over cooked brown rice with extra salt and pepper, if needed. (Don't be afraid to add salt for flavor - this is not as good if it's bland! :)

Voila! Healthy comfort food!

No comments:

Post a Comment