Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Hummus

Okay, since I was up till 1:30 last night waiting for beans to cook, I figure I'll let you know that the hummus is delicious. If you've never tried it, you should. But you should make it yourself because I'm sure it tastes better. Here's the recipe I used, thanks to Gluten-Free Girl

Hummus

--one can of chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans. I cooked my own, and used 2 cups)
--five tablespoons of tahini (this is basically pureed sesame seeds. Not as weird as you think)
--three tablespoons of olive oil
--the juice of two lemons (I used 4 tablespoons)
--two to four cloves of garlic (4 would make it VERY garlicky!)
--half a tablespoon of sea salt
--1/4 cup of reserved liquid from chickpeas (or water is fine)

Combine in blender or food processor.

Eat with chips or raw vegetables, or spread it on bread and have a sandwich with tomato and avocado. Yum!

Maybe I have just not paid attention, but until recently I didn't cook beans and didn't know if you cook beans the right way, they won't make you sick. Always soak them overnight and drain the water and put fresh water in for cooking, then skim away the froth that forms on top of the water as they cook. That's the gas, and you can get rid of most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment