Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sick

We are sick around here again. I can't help but directly blame the fact that we all had Easter candy this weekend. We had been fighting it off until this week. Audrey has had a nasty runny nose, and Hannah woke up at 1am with a high fever and stomach ache. Her stomach seems better after DGL, probiotics and silver, but the fever remains with no other symptoms. And my thermometer is broken so I'm not exactly sure how high her fever is. She is in good spirits other than wanting to lay around so I'm sure she's okay, just feverish.

Here is where I feel torn... On the one hand, I do not want to be that mommy who never allows her kids to eat anything. I have to border on that anyway. So, when they have some candy offered to them on a special occasion, it's hard for me to say no. On the other hand, I know they get sick when they have it, pretty much every time. So my inability to say no to the candy means they have to suffer being sick. Is it more unfair to them for me to say no, or to say yes?

3 comments:

  1. oh man...that is hard one. I think my inclination would be to allow them to have the candy and risk getting sick. I want my kids to have wonderful easter (or any holiday) memories. Part of easter is jelly beans and peeps.

    I just remember there was this girl that I went to Jr & Sr. High with and she was very nerdy. One year on Halloween she said "my mom won't let me eat sugar, so I can't go trick or treating...but she is going to buy me sugar-free candy". I remember all the kids feeling sorry/pity for her and it just made her not fit in even more.

    I think we need to try to give our children "normal" childhoods (within reason of course). Do I want my kids to eat popsicles--NO, Do I want my kids to eat candy--NO. But there I times when I just let it slide for the sake of letting them be kids. (I do draw the line at fruit snacks..those suckers don't enter my house)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have somewhat similar issues although not as extreme as what you're dealing with. For a while our son had trouble with dyes and we continue to be on a gluten-free diet. A couple years ago I found some dye-free/GF jelly/organic beans that we used as a substitution at Easter-time. I can't remember the brand name... sorry. I guess my point is, we want our children to feel as normal as possible, but our son (our daughter is too young to know) knows that there are foods that he can't eat and he accepts that. Whenever he is going to be at a social event where food is served, he brings alternative food. That's a hard place to be... wanting to make your kids happy and keep them healthy... perhaps the best thing to do is to pray for wisdom. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh Sara...what a dilemma...but I have to say I think you're doing such an awesome job. So awesome that I usually forget they even have food issues - they are so used to being in situations where there's food they can't eat, you don't even notice they have an issue with it. Especially Hannah, she just accepts it and moves on to her own snack. You are not one of those people who makes a big deal about this in public. You are truly fulfilling the role God has for you in their lives - you are protecting them as best you can, and being their eyes and ears (and mouth) when they can't understand the situation themselves. I think you are amazing for the way you deal with this continually. I'm sure it is a lot to think about - on top of all the normal mommy stuff you have to think about - and you are just doing awesome. So I don't know the answer to your question but I do know that you are doing such an incredible job of raising these girls and they will look back on your protection of them in this area and see your devotion and love.

    ReplyDelete