Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Good for the soul...

Flylady sends lots of emails when you sign up for it. Some of them are reminders to do things, which, unless I am totally on schedule for the day (which probably happens one day a month if I'm lucky) I tend to delete so they don't sit there and make me feel guilty. Ha! However, the vast majority of them are testimonials from people about what a difference it makes in their lives to do what flylady teaches. I don't often read these either, honestly, but occasionally one catches my attention. I could totally relate to this one, and feel like it's a good reminder for us wives...

"Dear FlyLady,

My husband traveled last week and came home Friday. Since then, his
suitcase has sat by the door. I admit, I let it sit there to see how
long it would be there. I waited 3 days and the whole time in my head
I was getting bitter about it. "Why is he cluttering up my nice clean
hallway with that? Why doesn't he at least put it in the bedroom? How
long is it going to sit there?" You know the thoughts. All of them
were making me cranky and angry at him.

I, of course, did not say anything to him about it either so I'm sure
he had no idea it was bothering me. This morning I saw it sitting
there and I decided to move it to our bedroom and put it on his side
of the bed where he would be sure to have to do something with it
before getting into bed tonight. But after doing that, it made my
nicely-made bed look cluttered so I opened it. Then I unpacked it. And
while I was doing it, it occurred to me that he has been working so
hard lately. His trip was a nightmare. He was up for 24 hours because
of plane delays, then he got 3 hours of sleep and was up doing yard
work and hard labor all the next day. He didn't get one day off this
weekend.

And here I was, angry at him for not unpacking a tiny suitcase that
took me UNDER 2 MINUTES to do myself and will probably make him feel
loved and cared for when he sees that I took the trouble to unpack for
him without complaining about it.

I am so glad your voice is in my head. I had the worst attitude until
I realized I needed to bless myself by doing a small service for my
wonderful, hard-working husband. And he is wonderful and he doesn't
deserve a bitter wife. So thank you for changing my thinking! I think
you probably save marriages every day without even knowing it! The
suitcase caper could have turned into a wicked fight, but instead it's
a non-issue and has actually made me appreciate my husband."

No comments:

Post a Comment