Friday, May 2, 2008

5 a day?

As Nick and I were talking about something unrelated last night, we stumbled across talking about how we don't tend to eat enough fruits and vegetables around here. Now, that may surprise you, since I'm the resident health nut. But, we focus so much on protein for blood sugar stability and gluten-free grain, that sometimes, too often, the produce becomes an afterthought. Nick reminded me of Door to Door Organics. We did this a while back, but quit in an attempt to cut back on grocery costs. The problem is, we quit buying much fresh produce in the process of saving money. At our house, we work to prioritize money for healthy eating. Sometimes it requires sacrifices in other areas. I talk about this all the time...blah, blah, blah.

Anyway!

Door-to-door is a pretty cool thing. Weekly, they deliver to your door a box of organic, very fresh fruits and vegetables for a pretty competitive price. What I think we like most is the variety. Unless we want to shop at the expensive grocery stores, variety is sorely lacking in Colorado. You can make up to 3 substitutions if you absolutely cannot eat what is in your box for the week, but we love that it encourages us to try new vegetables, and experiment with recipes.

I just got the email about our box for the week, which I think will come on Thursday. Here's what's in it:

Pinata Apple
Cucumbers
Tomatoes
Red Leaf Lettuce
Local Spinach
Leeks
Green Chard
Carrots
Beets with Tops
Tangelos
Strawberries
Bananas
Avocado
Broccoli

Sounds pretty yummy, doesn't it?

5 comments:

  1. Oh man that all sounds good. I wish we had something like that here. We don't even have a local co-op. Guess we will just have to live with the farmers market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you have great farmer's markets there, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember you telling me about this! I think we'll try it this time. Sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man! I got all excited and looked the up, but they don't do our state! :-( What a fabulous idea!
    We have farmer's markets here in the summer which are nice, and fun for the kids to go to. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. They may not deliver to you, but depending on where you live, someone else may! These kinds of companies are popping up all over. Google your city and orgnic delivery, and you may just find something. :)

    ReplyDelete