Sunday, November 25, 2007

The E-Myth

I'm reading a book called The E-myth Revisited. My dad, the entrepreneur, insisted that if Holly and I were going to make wedding dresses, we had to read this book. Honestly, I've always been rather bored with business concepts. This book fascinates me. Part of it is that I grew up watching my dad work on his business. Part of it is that I would love to find a way to make the money I need to live the life that I dream of. Part of it is it's a really fascinating book. :)

For example this:

Have a vision for your life, and work on making up the difference between the vision and reality.

What do I wish my life to look like?
How do I wish my life to be on a day-to-day basis?
What would I like to truly know by the end of my life?
How would I like to be with people - family, friends, business associates?
How would I like people to think about me?
Where do I want to be two years from now? Ten years from now? Twenty years from now? At the end of my life?
What do I want to learn during my lifetime - spiritually, physically, financially, technically, intellectually, in relationships?
How much money do I need in order to do these things? By when do I need it?

How many people think about these kinds of things? Maybe if we all did, we could find that ever-elusive sense of daily purpose. A reason to bounce out of bed in the morning. Every day is a step toward what we want our life to become. I would take that a step farther: what does God want my life to become?

Pastor Ross preached today. He spoke about how during the tough times in life, during the times when you feel God is absent, those are the times to put your faith in Who you know God is, and worship anyway. From 2 Chron. 20 - "We don't know what to do, but our eyes are upon You." From that place of worship and surrender to God's plan, comes the next step. Usually all God lets us know is the next step toward what He has asked us to do. He doesn't tell us the end result. He doesn't explain the answer to questions like, "God, why did I do all that training for worship ministry when you have called me to stay home with my kids and maybe also be a businesswoman?" All He gives is the next step. And, mixed with faith, that is enough to give immense peace to our lives.

I encourage you all to prayerfully consider that list of questions. Where is God leading your life? As we work out the answers to those questions, we can begin to really live. I feel that this is the key to thriving, rather than just surviving. A sense of direction and purpose can make all the difference - to a business, but more importantly to a life!

No comments:

Post a Comment