Saturday, November 17, 2007

Chicken Soup

I thought of something constructive to say...

When I was probably...8? My mom got very sick for what seemed like weeks. I don't remember what was wrong with her, as childhood tends to keep you from understanding things like that. However, I do remember an older lady in the church bringing us a huge pot of this soup. Ever since then, it has been a staple food in our household. When I was in labor with Audrey, this was the only thing I wanted. I actually made several batches while I was waiting those last few weeks, because I wanted to make sure I had it on hand for blood sugar issues during labor.

Dr P tells us every time we are sick, to eat nothing but chicken soup. Although I'm not a very good patient as far as eating ONLY this, I do love to make a batch to help with colds, etc.
So, without further adieu...


Bonnie Leese's Chicken and Rice Soup

8c. water
1-2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts

Cook chicken in water over medium low heat until done, 30-45 minutes. (The water should steam, but not boil here. Too much heat makes the chicken tough.)

Add to pot:
2-3 stalks celery
3-4 carrots
1/4 of a bell pepper
1/4 of an onion
pinch of garlic (I always use lots more. Fresh garlic would be good too.)

Boil until tender. (I always pull out the chicken and shred/cut it into chunks at this point. Or you can just leave it and it will fall apart somewhat on its own.)

Then add:
Salt and pepper to taste
One large can stewed tomatoes (juice and all)
1 cup ALREADY COOKED brown rice

Obviously, this is one of those recipes that she probably had to think about in order to write down. It is Extremely customizable. I have always wanted to try it in the crock pot, but haven't been brave enough. I'm not a huge fan of the stewed tomatoes, but without them the soup is a little boring. I have used diced tomatoes instead, and then the pieces of them are smaller...somewhat helpful. If you are a cheese person, top with shredded cheese, although that adds to mucus issues if you're eating this to get well. :)

Let me know if you try it - enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment