Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I like lentil soup...lentil soup?

All evening I've been singing a song that Ernie and Bert sing.

Bert: I like lentil soup
Ernie: Lentil soup?
Bert: Yes, I do...
Ernie: I don't really like any of those things...but I...like...you!

I made lentil soup for dinner tonight. It was yummy, and Hannah even ate it. I was prepared to make her something different! Lentils are pretty cool little things. 28% of your daily fiber and 11g of protein in one serving.

I've been seeing them everywhere lately. Have you ever noticed that there are food fads? Like, sun-dried tomatoes and asiago cheese...that is SO three years ago! Anyway, I decided to try it. This recipe is really good.

The changes I made are:
Only one large onion - we're not huge onion people
One 14oz can of tomatoes - we're not huge tomato people either, and I didn't have a big can. :)
A splash of apple cider vinegar instead of the wine - I still don't have a clue how to buy wine, although I'm not opposed to cooking with it.
One cup of COOKED brown rice - add right before serving. Whole grains will make it a complete protein also. The recipe suggests adding cheese which would do the same thing and be pretty tasty, but it sure would make us all sick!

Try it - you'll like it!

2 comments:

  1. I'll be making this recipe on Wednesday (soup day). My youngest has a great appetite and I'm always amazed at what she will eat. For instance, on Sunday after church she ate the tomato from my sandwich. I didn't expect her to keep asking for a bite, but she ate the whole thing!

    Thanks for the tip... I'll let you know how it turns out!

    "Well I don't know about any of those things... but I... like... you!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lentils were very good... here's what I changed.

    I cooked a pound of dried lentils (waaayyyy too much!)

    I chopped about 1 c baby carrots instead of shredded

    I only used 6 c chicken broth so my soup was not soupy at all

    I used canned chopped tomatoes with the onion already in it



    Next time, I won't add the wine. I liked the soup better before it went in.

    "C is for cookie. That's good enough for me!"

    ReplyDelete